CH 1. Para Vs. Diamagnetic/Quantum Numbers Name:
Short-hand notation: use [noble gas before it], then:
s-block: ns1 or ns2
p-block: ns2np 1-6
1. Write the symbol and electron configuration notation for:
2. Write the symbol and the shorthand notation for:
n = levels or periods = 1 thru 7
l = sublevels or blocks = s = 0, p = 1, d = 2, f = 3
m = rooms in the sublevel s = 0, p = -1,0,+1, d = -2,-1,0,+1,+2, f = -3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2,+3
s = spin, either up +1/2 or down -1/2
3. Draw the symbol and the last orbital box for these elements. Then write the four quantum numbers for the last electron in that element:
molybdenum – it is a jumper!!!!
In a DIAMAGNETIC ELEMENT: all of the electrons are spin-paired so their sub-shells are completely filled, causing them to be unaffected by magnetic fields
In a PARAMAGNETIC ELEMENT: they are strongly affected by magnetic fields because their sub-shells are NOT completely filled with electrons.
4. Which of the elements is diamagnetic?
5. Which of the elements is paramagnetic?